Friday, September 21, 2007

24 Hour Horrorthon & Related Events

In honor of Halloween this year, Exhumed Films is showing 24 hours of horror movies at Philly's International House on October 27. The caveat? They aren't announcing the titles ahead of time. Though only $20 bucks, anyone who's ever been to an Exhumed show knows its a crapshoot--sometimes you get horror classics, and sometimes you get random ninja movies.

There's also the Eight Films to Die For thing, which, for some reason, is in the second week of Novehttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifmber when everyone's already burnt out on horror movies. I've been the past two years and have yet to see a good movie. In 2006 it was the laughably bad Reincarnation--apparently talking dolls are a lot scarier in Japan than they are here--and last year it was...I can't even remember what, I think something incomprehensible and maybe Russian, and the Web site is no help.

For the past couple years, my friends and I have our own Horror Movie Night, which involves making a bunch of food and watching very mainstream horror movies that everyone can agree on: year 1, A Nightmare on Elm Street and 28 Days Later; year 2, Carrie and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. And someone always pushes for Ghostbusters, which, obviously, not a horror movie. This year is currently undecided, but my vote is for Candyman, which I saw for the first time at Exhumed last year and was the only movie to scare me since (shut up!) The Ring.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

The boyf and I haven't decided whether or not we're going to come up for the 24 hour Exhumed thing. We want to, it's just that we're not sure if we have enough money to.

If you go to notcoming.com, and read last year's list of "31 days of horror", the list does include the longest analytical essay ever of Ghostbusters. It's my favorite movie, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as a horror movie either. The demon hands coming out of the chair thing is pretty creepy though.

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you on the issue of Ghostbusters. It is entirely too funny to be a horror movie. Granted, many horror movies are funny but few are intentionally so. Most of those are humorous because of how absurd they are.

As for movie night, how about Re-Animator? It does have the best scene involving a decapitated body EVER!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Re-Animator, there's an idea...I haven't seen it, believe it or not. I think the other one we watched last year that I couldn't remember was Shaun of the Dead (funny, but still acceptable, possibly because R-rated)?

Sarah, definitely let me know if you're going to come! I will at least stop by and see what's playing.

Patrick Hipp said...

Although I won't be there, I vote for a four-threat of Candyman, Candyman 2, and Wishmaster 1 & 2. I hear you're looking for Tony Todd, bitch.

Andrea said...

Candyman 2 stars Kirsten from the OC. Why did we not watch that when it was on Fearnet??

Unknown said...

Shaun of the Dead is definitely acceptable. True, it's funny, but it has enough allusions and tributes to classic zombie flicks that it's perfectly acceptable.

His Name Is Charles Lee Ray said...

Re-Animator is almost as good as Candyman. How about Child's Play?